Pineapple Pastry is a delightful dessert bursting with sweet, tart, and tangy flavors. Fluffy and tender sponge cake is layered with a creamy whipped frosting, and the bright taste of pineapple is in every bite. Here I share my easy step-by-step photos and instructions to prepare a really good Eggless Pineapple Cake recipe for any occasion!
About This Pineapple Cake
Here in India you’ll find fruity, sweet and scrumptious pineapple cakes in nearly every local bakery and pastry shop.
Classic vanilla sponge cakes are cut and layered with a rich and creamy frosting, then topped with pineapple rings for a dessert that is as lovely to look at as it is delicious to enjoy!
While these cakes seem impressive and taste super yummy, you might be surprised to learn that they’re actually quite easy to make at home.
In fact, there are two simple options you can choose from for how you want to prepare this eggless pineapple cake recipe: Either with homemade Eggless Vanilla Cake, or you can use your favorite store bought vanilla cake or sponge cake.
In addition to your choice of cake, you’ll only need a handful of other ingredients that are readily available at most markets – like heavy cream and canned pineapple. And you can garnish this tropical treat however you like!
Make Eggless Pineapple Cake completely from scratch or as a quick last-minute dessert, and either way it’s sure to please.
How to Make Eggless Pineapple Cake
1. To make this pineapple cake recipe, I first prepare my easy eggless vanilla cake a day ahead and refrigerate it.
You’ll find the complete ingredients list and steps to make this delicious sponge from scratch with video and step-by-step photo guide here: Eggless Vanilla Cake.
You also can simply purchase a readymade small to medium-size vanilla cake or eggless sponge cake from a bakery or superstore.
This is a great option for when you need to have a dessert ready in a snap, but don’t want it to be completely prepackaged.
2. If you have baked the cake, let it cool completely. Slice the vanilla cake in half to create two equal layers.
3. Use a pastry brush to lightly coat the cut side of the bottom layer with pineapple juice. This will infuse the cake with the pineapple flavor, and keep the crumb nice an moist.
You can opt to use either homemade Pineapple Juice or canned. If out of pineapple juice, use sugar water instead. Dissolve 2 to 3 teaspoons of sugar in 2 to 3 tablespoons of water and use it to brush the cake with.
4. Next, make the frosting. Whip 200 ml heavy cream with 4 to 5 tablespoons of icing sugar and ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract, or ¼ teaspoon pineapple essence, with a hand held electric beater or in a stand mixer (attached with the wire whip blade).
If using a stand mixer, beat at the highest speed till you get stiff peaks. But don’t overdo the beating as the cream might turn into butter. The moment you get stiff peaks, just stop the mixer or beater.
Before you begin to whip, keep the cream in the refrigerator for some hours until it is cold. You can also keep the steel whipping bowl or the stand mixer steel bowl in the fridge or freezer for a few hours.
5. Take ¼ or ⅓ portion of the whipped cream in another bowl. Mix it with finely chopped canned pineapple. Fold in to mix well, but take care to not over mix.
Make Pineapple Cake
6. Spread the pineapple cream frosting on the base slice evenly.
7. Cover with the other half of the vanilla sponge.
8. Then spread the rest of the whipped cream frosting on all sides of the cake – the top layer as well as on the sides. This is most easily done with a flat spatula or palette knife.
Decorate the top of the cake with canned pineapple rings, and your choice of other toppings. Here I’ve added some chocolate chips for extra texture and sweetness.
Place the cake in the refrigerator (covered), for 2 to 3 hours so that the whipped cream frosting sets. Slice the eggless pineapple cream cake and serve immediately.
You certainly can substitute all purpose or whole wheat flour in the eggless vanilla cake recipe with your preferred GF baking flour blend. Or, purchase your choice of gluten-free readymade cake.
You can add cherries (similar to classic Black Forest Cake) or shredded coconut on top for some tasty flair.
Yes, feel free to use freshly chopped pineapple in this recipe. Just make it a point to use sweet tasting fresh pineapples. With fresh pineapples too, the cake is equally delicious!
If the vanilla sponge is made within a day or so before the pineapple cake is prepared, the pineapple cake will keep well for another 2 or 3 days. Place in a cake holder with a lid, or leave covered in the refrigerator.
Please be sure to rate the recipe in the recipe card or leave a comment below if you have made it. For more vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or follow me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Eggless Pineapple Cake | Pineapple Pastry Recipe
Pineapple Pastry is a delightful dessert bursting with sweet, tart, and tangy flavors. Fluffy and tender cake is layered with a creamy whipped frosting, and the bright taste of pineapple is in every bite.
Prep Time 50 mins
Cook Time 40 mins
Total Time 1 hr 30 mins
Prevent your screen from going dark while making the recipe
Remove the 2 to 3 pineapple slices from the can draining the syrup in the can itself. Finely chop the pineapple slices and set aside.
Slice the cake with a serrated knife from the center carefully into two equal halves.
- Brush the base slice of the cake with some pineapple juice. This is an optional step. If you do not have pineapple juice, brush with some sugar water. To make sugar water, simply dissolve a 2 to 3 teaspoons of sugar in 2 to 3 tablespoons of water. Mix well and use.
Make Cream Frosting
In a stand mixer fitted with the wired whip blade, whip the cream and icing sugar along with vanilla extract or pineapple essence, at high speed till you get stiff peaks in the cream.
You can also use a hand held electric beater to whip the cream.
Taste the whipped cream and add more icing sugar if needed.
The cream should have stiff peaks – meaning on turning the bowl the cream should not fall.
Mix the finely chopped pineapple with ¼ or ⅓ portion of the whipped cream in a separate bowl.
Make Pineapple Cake
Spread the pineapple cream frosting on the base slice evenly..
Keep the other cake half over on top.
Now spread the remaining whipped cream all over the cake on the top as well as the sides, with a palette knife or spatula evenly.
Decorate the top of the cake with a few more pineapple slices.
Keep the Pineapple Pastry in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 hours so that the cream icing sets.
Serve the Eggless Pineapple Cake immediately.
Or you can keep it covered in the fridge and then serve later.
It is advisable to finish this Pineapple Cake in a day or two.
- The whipping cream of heavy cream should be fresh. Make sure it has not gone rancid.
- You could use fresh pineapple or canned pineapple. If using fresh pineapple, make sure it tastes sweet. If you prefer you can also cook the fresh pineapple cubes with some sugar and water until they are slightly softened but not mushy.
- This recipe can be easily scaled up to make for more servings. In this case use two to three small to medium-sized vanilla cake.
Eggless Pineapple Cake | Pineapple Pastry Recipe
Amount Per Serving
Calories 495 Calories from Fat 135
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 9g56%
Trans Fat 0.4g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 4g
Vitamin A 517IU10%
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 0.2mg13%
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.3mg18%
Vitamin B3 (Niacin) 2mg10%
Vitamin B6 0.1mg5%
Vitamin B12 0.1µg2%
Vitamin C 5mg6%
Vitamin D 1µg7%
Vitamin E 1mg7%
Vitamin K 4µg4%
Vitamin B9 (Folate) 64µg16%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
This Pineapple Pastry recipe from the archives first published on 2014 has been republished and updated on November 2022.