Hello dear friends,
I’m currently in denial about what might be a cold? A cold because it better not be the flu. I’m not accepting any mail from the flu. Part of my denial this weekend involves me roasting a chicken with butter and lemons and making a variation of this lentil soup for next week. The old wive’s tale is definitely something like ‘feed a cold that you’re denying’ right?
This week I went to dinner at, inarguably, one of the most special places in New Orleans: Mosquito Supper Club. It’s an authentic Cajun restaurant, open three nights a week for one seating each night, communal tables, family style, so many biscuits and so much crab – it’s a perfect evening. I’m gathering up my other New Orleans favorites to share with you later this week. It’s an ever evolving list. You’ll come visit, won’t you?
I hope this week finds you well and healthy! The offering this week is below. As always, take what you need:
• This: How Is The Shutdown Affecting America? Let Us Count The Ways. (NPR)
• I haven’t watched the Marie Kondo Netflix show yet because I haven’t prepared my heart and schedule to purge my closet and kitchen but this is very relevant content: The Marie Kondo Effect Reaches Beacon’s Closet (The New Yorker)
• Several of you sent along this article for me to read: Bright Lights, small city. It’s about making the decision to move to New Orleans, encouraging a different life to take shape, and yes… talking to your neighbors. (Curbed)
• Stay sexy: How true crime podcasts find clues the police miss. (BBC)
• Do you listen to the podcast Ear Hustle? I like it very much. I also like this news quite a lot: Earlonne Woods Made An Amazing Podcast – and it won him his freedom. (MotherJones)
• This week’s long read is deeply real: The Weight I Carry (The Atlantic)
• I love Maggie’s perspective and appreciate how honestly and generously she talks about her relationship with food, health and dieting: The 3 Weight-Loss Proverbs That Just Didn’t Work For Me. (The Kitchn)
• Let’s commit to keep exploring new ingredients and techniques in the kitchen this year. Marisa from Food In Jars has a 12-month canning challenge for the new year and I’m super excited to experiment!
• Today is a good day to remind yourself how simple and satisfying it is to make a roasted chicken: No-Fail Roast Chicken with Lemon and Garlic. I added potatoes to the pan and have no regrets. (Bon Appetit)
• Citrus season comes along right when we need it: Grapefruit Cake with Grapefruit Curd. (Joy the Baker)
• Why yes, I very much want to make a PomPom Beret! (Teen Vogue)
• I am digging this collaboration between Poketo and Beyond Yoga. (Beyond Yoga)
That’s all for today my friends. Enjoy your Sunday!
My love to you.